Parent Category: Living in Crete
Cretan cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Fava (Pease Pudding) (φάβα)
Fava is an easy dish to make and its bright yellow color is a pretty addition to any table. It can be served as an appetizer, meze, or a side dish. Fava goes particularly well with dark leafy greens, salty dishes, and fish. It's quite versatile and you can add other ingredient to give it more flavour, add herbs and spices, add onion, tomatoes, The sky's the limit. It is a favourite Lentin dish here on Crete.
- 2 cups yellow lentils
- Water to cover lentils
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- chopped red onion
- extra virgin olive oil
- Soak lentils overnight in lots of cold water, wash thoroughly.
- Put the lentils in a pot with water to cover generously. Bring to a boil and cook 5-10 minutes until froth rises to the top.
- Skim the froth of the top, and continue to boil until they are soft and mushy.
- Purée the lentils and liquid with either a hand blender or liquidizer, and return to the pot. Add oil and salt. Cook uncovered over lowest possible heat for 15 minutes until it becomes the texture of thick cream, stirring with a wooden spoon to prevent from sticking.
- Serve at room temperature in shallow bowls topped off with olive oil and a tablespoon of diced onion.
- To store: Cover and set aside for 12 hours, then refrigerate in an air-tight container.
Enjoy your meal (Καλή όρεξη)
Footnote: Yellow split peas are part of the Pulses family. Learn how you can benefit health-wise from their consumption as part of the Cretan Diet, especially as an easy method to Detox using them.