Parent Category: Living in Crete
Cretan cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Chicken in Lemon Sauce (Κοτόπουλο λεμονάτο)
Everyone loves Chicken in Lemon Sauce, its so simple to make, yet so tasty.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Yields: 4 servings
- 1.5 kg chicken pieces
- 1 stalk Celery
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- pinch Salt & pepper
- sprig fresh basil
- 1 small Onion
- 2 medium lemons juiced
- 3 medium carrots sliced
- 300 ml hot water
- Rinse and dry the chicken pieces.
- Put the olive oil in a wide saucepan and, when fairly hot but not brown, season the chicken pieces and sautee them gently on both sides.
- They should not get brown.
- Remove them to a plate.
- Put the onion in the same saucepan and sautee until it becomes transparent.
- Add all the vegetables and the basil and sautee for a few more minutes, until they are all coated in oil.
- Add the chicken pieces on top of the vegetables and pour the lemon juice all over.
- It is best to start with one lemon and adjust to taste before you add any more.
- When the steam from the lemon has subsided add the water and more seasoning, then cover and cook slowly for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Served with rice or pasta.
- Serve the chicken and vegetables on top of the pasta or rice and coat with the delicious thick sauce.
Enjoy your Chicken in Lemon Sauce (Κοτόπουλο λεμονάτο) - (Καλή όρεξη)
Footnote: Enjoy your Cretan cooking while at the same time benefitting your body, health-wise. Lemons are so beneficial for Detoxing.